16 July 2006

Courgette glut

I have decided that as well as being a log of what is happening on the allotment that I need to keep a record of what happens to the produce, so, from today this is also going to be a recipe book and an aide-memoire to what to cut back on growing next year.

Yesterday was too hot to garden so I stayed in the kitchen cooking (there must be some logic there somewhere).

First was pickling three jars of beetroot. I would have been four jars but I kept munching on the little ones. I cooked them first but think I should have left them a little bit crisper as the vinegar will soften them more. Then what to do with all these courgettes.


Courgette flan
Shortcrust pastry
Home grown - courgettes, onion, garlic, rocket
Bought - tin of tomatoes, mixed herbs, cheese for the topping




Vegetable layer bake
Home grown - courgettes, onions, garlic, potatoes, basil, thyme and sage
Bought - cheese topping




Courgette pasta bake
Home grown - courgettes, garlic, tomato (only one small one), spinach, rocket, oregano
Bought - six tomatoes, two tablespoons natural yogurt, cheese



In the style of all the best cookery books, you get a picture with each recipe. What you don't get is quantities as I haven't got a clue how much I use of each thing as I make it up as I go along or just keep cramming it in until the dish is full.

Note: Home grown garlic is a lot stronger than shop bought which has been dried. The smell in the house and on my hands may take a while to clear. At least it is pleasant unlike the comfrey tea.

Another note: You may be curious at the lack of green in the pictures, this is because we seem to have a lot more yellow courgettes than green ones and I am leaving some of the green ones to grow into marrows.

Yet another note: When you put grated cheese on the top of everything it looses its impact photographically. Believe me, apart from the courgetteness they are all quite different.

No comments: