20 June 2008

The harvest begins

I have said before that I learn something new every year. Well this year I have learned that you only need one trailing tomato plant per hanging basket. This one is destined to produce a bumper crop as evidenced by the number yellow flowers already.




No, your eyes didn't deceive you, there are two ready to pick.







Last year was disaster for broad beans - not so this year. I can't keep up with them. The plants are starting to go over so I have pulled up a load and sat with a cup of tea shelling them. It is amazing that I got almost a full tub of composting for a shoe box full of beans.





Another change from last year is the strawberries. I put it down to the duck bedding placed around them early in the season, but the plants in the bath and the old wheelbarrow are really producing beautiul fruit. With all the sun we have had recently they are ripening faster than we can eat them. Thanks to my new toy - the ice cream maker, there is no worries what will happen to the surplus.



And still the beans keep coming. I have now harvested about a quarter so a few pounds to go.

No comments: