5 June 2008

Summer is on its way


Never mind what the date is, you can tell when spring has well and truly spring and summer is on its way but what is available to eat.

We have a glut of broad beans but now have some early carrots to go with them.




Even better than that - I am not sure if you will remember that I planted two potatoes in a tub in the greenhouse in February, well, here is our first crop. Enough for two meals and the words cannot describe the taste. The ones that I planted early in the ground are coming into flower so it won't be long and we will have our first real crop.





Talking about gluts - 10 ducks are lovely but when we get between 8 and 10 eggs a day we have a bit of a glut. I do get some strange looks on the train occasionally as I bet I am the only commuter that regularly has half a dozen eggs in her handbag.

I managed to use them all up, in some form or another, last week, we have sold two dozen, I have used 15 today but still they keep coming.

Just in case you are wondering, I have increased the quantities in my batches so it is now 5 eggs to 10 ounces of butter, sugar and flour, so rather than 15 eggs, I have 60 muffins. Luckily Katy popped in with her apprentice so that was 8 muffins gone in a very short time!

No comments: