15 April 2009

Easter is for the boys

Another one of those wonderful events happened over Easter - Matt came to stay. You should all know what that means - lots of boy jobs got done.





The circus tent has been completed (excluding the bunting) so the fruit is protected. While we are there we open the door so that the ducks can get in and ensure that the ground is kept clear of bugs and grubs that we don't want on the soft fruit....



.....and the cover is on the brassica cage (at the top of 51/52. In addition, the fence has been repaired so I feel that I can sleep at night again without fear of destruction by pigeon and rabbit.


The fine netting keeps it so warm under the brassica cage that I have planted out peas, cauliflower, chard, cabbage and baby corn as they can stand a bit of frost but can't stand pigeons.


I decided to buy the allotment a present, especially in light of there being three of us sharing one flask. While the boys were working hard, I was able to sit and brew. There is no reason why we couldn't keep a good supply of instant soup as well, so hunger will no longer be a reason for packing up work.



A strange eruption has taken place in the bed in the greenhouse, where salad leaves are just starting to peep through the surface. On closer inspection it seems to be a red ants nest. I am not sure how they got in there, but they are not in a hurry to go away. I have watered them well every night but still it keeps coming back. I suppose it could be worse, it could be a slug infestation.


The saying 'the grass is greener' was tested by the ducks at the weekend, when I left the gate open and when I came back, they had decided to explore outside. It was a good job that I wasn't away too long or goodness knows how far they would have gone, or even worse, who's allotment they would have got onto and starting digging up crops.



It has been so warm sunny over the last couple of weeks that the petunias in the hanging baskets in the greenhouse are in flower already. The rate at which the plants are growing they will outgrow the greenhouse before they are able to go outside. It does make me feel good though to feel that summer is on its way.




Every day there is something new - the squash have burst through the surface of the pots. There was no sign yesterday and this is what is here today. They are an amazing example of how clever nature is, and how good water is for you.







Some of the beans that I got from the Heritage Seed Library have grown as well. This is Mrs Fortune.

'Mrs Fortune's' Climbing French Bean
The plant grows to 6ft and is very prolific with pale blue flowers. The pods are smooth, medium green background with dark blue shading and develop into darker blue. The seeds are white with maroon mottling when ripe. They are very tender and not stringy. The seeds were donated by two friends who share an allotment next to each other in Bristol. One of them used to visit an elderly lady called Doris Fortune, in the early 1960s and was given some beans by her. They originated from an old retired gardener who tended the Royal Family's garden at Windsor.





I think I put the butter beans in too early. They are the biggest of the beans and the biggest plants. I am sure this is what Jack started with.








I will once again end on a crafty note. While the boys were working, I finally finished the downstairs toilet by varnishing the walls having put up the sheet music wallpaper, which was from a book anotated as purchased in 1890. This I bought at auction for £8. Anyway, back to the craft item and the bargain of the week. We were at the tip and couldn't resist looking at what they had for sale. We found this mirror which was painted cream and a bit tatty. Having handed over our pound coin we then went to B&Q and spent £3.59 on a little tin of black acrylic paint. The final result is a bathroom mirror to be proud of. Saying that, I am thinking of removing the scrolls to just have a plan mirror frame. before you say anything, yes, I was determined not to get in the phote.

No comments: