20 June 2009

Update for June

We have been so busy in the house since the building work was done and the carpet was laid, that the allotment has been slightly neglected and the blog has been very neglected.

My first update is what we are having for dinner this evening.

Our own potatoes that were self setters growing around the grape vines, and peas. There is a mixture of varieties but they all taste wonderful.







We are suffering a glut of strawberries and red currents so for desert, I have made some frozen yoghurt with some of the fruit for a bit of variety.









Followed by a report on the weather and how climate change is impacting on what we are growing. Among the fruit trees the have a peach. As we grow by organic methods I refuse to spray so we have a bad case of peach leaf curl and every day I pick off more leaves. We do seem to have a very robust tree and it is currently fruiting. At the last count there were 9 peaches. Not very big yet but I have great hopes for them.







After last years bumper crop of broad beans, the mice got all the beans sown in the autumn so we have a late grop developing. unfortunately, the black fly have attached and I am desperately spraying with the mix I made with rhubarb leaves soaked in a bucket of water. Not sure if it is working, but they still taste wonderful and have lovely furry insides.

No comments: