14 November 2009

What do I do with all these tomatillos


I was given four tomatillo plants in the sprint and planted them in a group in a spare space at the end of the onions. The reason for plantingthem in a group was that they were pot bound so I plonkedthem in a hole and put canes at an angle facing outwards. I did put cane toopers on the cane as you could easily take your eye out with outward facing canes.

Anyway... I though they would act like tomatoes and either wilt, get blight, or black end rot or not turn red - how wrong was I. I have already made six jars of tomatillo chutney (to use up a marrow as well) and still have a huge collander full.







They don't look much here but inside the papery skin there is a lovely fruit that looks just like a green tomatoe but it is citrussy in taste so no good for bolognaise.


I have been given this recipe so might have to give it a try:

Ingredients
10 tomatillos (husked), 1 small onion, chopped 3 cloves garlic, chopped 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro salt and pepper to taste
Directions
Place tomatillos in a nonreactive saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Simmer until tomatillos soften and begin to burst, about 10 minutes.
Drain tomatillos and place in a food processor or blender with onion, garlic, jalapeno peppers, cilantro, salt and pepper. Blend to desired consistency.

No comments: