22 December 2009

21 December 09 snowfall

I left home at midday yesterday for a hospital appointment, not realising that it would be nearly eight hours before I returned home. The hospital is only about five miles from home but I had to walk to get the bus to town then get another bus to the hospital. The first bus took about 20 minutes and the second about 10 minutes. Allowing 20 minutes for the walk meant that I had about an hour to spare in town to shop and sit down and have a cup of decaf.

All good so far...... except, while I was in the shopping centre it started snowing, on the bus ride out it snowed more so that there was a covering when I arrived at the hospital. The appointment only lasted about 15 minutes but when I got outside again, the snow was really coming down. I got on the bus back but it took two hours to travel about 200 yards.

This is the view from the bus after the snow had been coming down for about four hours.







After three hours of going nowhere, four of us got off the bus and walked to the bus station where it was anounced that there were no scheduled buses and the exit to the car park had been closed so anybody who had parked had to either walk home or stay there the night. After 20 minutes a bus came in that was going my way. It got about a mile and the traffic was gridlocked so it could go no further. Walking again past all the stuck and abondoned cars I got to Tesco which was about a mile from where we left the bus.


I can't belive that this was the first time I had been out on my own for weeks and I only went to the appointment as I had already cancelled it twice and the weather looked OK when I left home. From the time I walked out of the hospital to the time I got home was just over five hours. Good job I had hat, hooded coat, two scarfs and two pairs of gloves.






Better than Nick though, it took him seven hours to get home from work. A journey that is usually about half an hour.

Basingstoke was the headline on the BBC news this morning as it was the worst hit for the snow.

The Guardian said 'Basingstoke like a disaster film'

The BBC said '3000 people stranded'

Emergency shelters opened for motorists

The Telegraph said 'roads turned to ice rinks'

No comments: