14 January 2010

More bird watching

I love the fact that every day we seem to get a new bird in the garden. The Blue Tits are so much fun to watch and look as though they could become quite tame as they still buzz around even if someone is in the garden.








The Greenfinches are still around and have tremendous apetites. You always know when they have been on the feeders but the smount of seed shell on the snow below. I wouldn't like to get my finger caught in their beak.

Talking of snow - we had another four inches yesterday so are back to everywhere covered even though a lot thawed the day before. The temperature is above freezing today so the ducks are happy again as we have been able to break the ice on their pond and top it up. It is a bit like a duck poo flavoured slush puppy at the moment but I am sure a bit of swimming will soon thaw the slush.






When I first saw these birds, I thought they were wagtails but as there was a group of six of them flying around and none of them were wagging their tails, I thought again and thumbed through the bird book. I have now come to the conclusion that they are Long Tailed Tits - which is very exciting as I don't think we have been home to any of them before.

1 comment:

CE Webster said...

Love your bird pictures! Sounds like you had lots of snow, too! It's so much watching the birds in the winter.