7 January 2010

Path to the ducks


I had to get out to the ducks with a kettlefull of water this morning as their pond was a solid block of ice and their drinking water came out in one lump. I filled it from the watering can but within the hour it was frozen again so a full kettle makes one cup of decaf and a warming layer on top of the ice.

Nick had compressed the snow but with the deep freeze overnight it was like an ice rink. Going down was OK but getting back up was a challenge. I hadn't realise that it was even a slope.









Luckily we got some extra straw last week so the ducks have a layer of straw on top of their snow to keep their feet and bottoms warm. I am a bit worried about the snow on the branch that overhangs their meeting corner as we have lovely blue skies and sunshine today and it looks like it could fall on their heads any minute. I need to find a very long stick to knock it down when they are out of the way.

No comments: