20 June 2010

Not so good news


One evening this week I met Maria as she was leaving the allotment with her bike basket full of garlic. It seemed very early to have dug it all, and as Maria is Italian and has had her allotment for over 20 years, I knew there must be something wrong.

She had white rot. This is disaster to garlic as it is OK to cut away the rotted bit and use straight away but it won't store over winter.

I decided to check mine as I had the same rust on the leave and I had the same problem. About 1/3 of the crop is affected so I dug it all so that I could hopefully save some of it.

There are about 60 heads of garlic so you can imagine how the car smelled on the journey home. I will hang it up to finish drying and the bulbs that are affected I will try to chop and pack in jars with olive oil to preserve them.

You might want to keep away from me for a few days and I will have to make sure I wear rubber gloves.

1 comment:

Shaheen said...

Its good to be able to learn from teh experience of others. I am sorry to read about the white rot. My garlic is not looking too good either. I don't think it is white rot. Its the first time I have grown them in pots and I don't think they are liking it.