28 October 2009

Daily visit to the sewing room

One of the things that I have been doing of the last few weeks is forcing myself to sit down and do some sewing every day. I soon ran out of mending so decided to turn to the fabric drawer and start using up all the remnants and off scraps that I knew would be useful some time.

The TV highlight of my week is 'Quilt in a day' with Eleanor Burns. It is the corniest American home town programme you could imagine, but I love it. I soon discovered the joys of making quilt tops.


This was my first attempt and rather boring. I am sure it will do as a backing for something more interesting.













I had a go at making a book cover in crazy quilting. I will add some beads, lace and ribbon to jazz it up a bit.












I then got brave and splashed out on a jelly roll which is used with a bit of green silk that I had bought as an alternative headboard cover for the guest room. This one has been backed and padded, I have added the binding so all it needs is the binding hand stitching down and it will be done.











A few left over bits were used to make a cover for my allotment book.












I got another jelly roll in black and white and using some red fabric and some odd bits with red in them, made this lap quilt top.













The one that I am most pleased with is a full bed size. I found a bit of red mottled fabric which is used with the black and white plus a bit of black with white spots which I used for the border. The top is finished but I need to find a supplier of wide wadding and decide what to use as a backing so this may be a long term project.

No comments: