31 October 2009

Happy Halloween

We still have the big boy from this year. I will definately be growing squash in the compost bins again as it seems to feed them well and this is the one that was a challenge to get into the car to get us home. He has a 40 inch waist so maybe we could make a big pumpkin scarecrow.

I was going to make some batches of pumpkin pie but don't know where to start getting a knife into him to start cutting.

Which has reminded me - I bought Nick an axe so that he could cut up wood for the stove, so maybe that will be the route I will have to take.





I was lucky to win a copy of Jamie's America and thumbing through there are some good squash receipes, combine this with Sarah Raven's book, I can make a start on reclaiming the washing basket. Halloween came and went and we didn't do any carving so we will still eat well throughout the winter.

No comments: