30 November 2009

Mud wallowing


It has rained, rained and more rained for most of the weekend. Before it started we got out and put in two posts for the duck compound at home. I also started removing the soil from the raised bed having already taken out the top layer of blocks. The problem was that every time I dug up a plant, I came back from replanting it to find that Daisy had moved in a de-wormed the area.

As there has now been so much rain, all the ducks spend most of their time on the bed foraging in the mud. After three years the soil must be full of delicious treats and we have certainly noticed that they are eating less of their food so they must be filling up with bugs and grubs. Yummy!

The plant in this picture is a perenial wallflower which was in a three inch pot when I bought it last year. It is now huge and flowered throughout most of the year. I have taken it out and put in a huge pot. I will try taking some cuttings as it is a lovely addition to the garden with reasonable foliage and a splash of bright yellow flowers.

No comments: