4 January 2010

First visit to the allotment

We went to the allotment for the first time since the snow fall and found that the fruit cage had not fared too well. Thankfully the netting hadn't torn but the weight of snow bent the metal struts holding up the roof. Thankfully they are soft enought to bend back up but we will need to do some strengthening in the spring. In the meantime we will leave them as they are as more snow is forcast for later this week.











The main reason for our visit is that we had three tubs full of composting to take but I did do a bit of harvesting while we were there. I got some carrots, parsnips, tunips and artichokes to make a vegetable stew and a lovely cabbage which we at last night.












As it is too cold today for me to go outside for very long, I have spent quite a bit of time sitting in front of the fire watching the birds on the feeders. The great zoom on the camera means that I could keep a close eye on them.

For those of you who have an allotment, this is not our friend as they eat anything that is not covered. In the garden they are a joy as they forage around on the ground eating everything that the smaller birds drop. This means that the seed that drop don't sprout and you find that you have a lovely flower bed fully of sunflowers, millet and niger.








I also did a bit of sewing, not at the machine this time but hand sewing. I have decided that I will do an embroidered patch in each quilt with the date so they will be future family heirlooms.

Between dosing and stoking the fire I also managed to read a whole chapter of my book which is a good sign as I have been reading it since September and am now on page 60. My aim is to finish it by Easter. I have therefore started a list of books I read in 2010. I have listed The Underground Man which I am reading now and in anticipation of finishing it the one I have lined up next.

1 comment:

Matt Harvey said...

I can't believe the struts broke. I'd have a word with the structural engineer on the project!