18 April 2010

Update from the allotment

I was worried about the seeds that I had sown in the greenhouse as the sun had been so hot I was sure that any seed that had germinated would be cooked and shrunk back in.

I was delighted to see the red cabbage has germinated and it looks as though more to come. The green cabbage (can't remember the variety) have dome amazingly so I will have to keep an eye on them and pot on fairly soon.







The leeks are just starting to peep through as well and looking very healthy.













I am a bit worried about the peppers and chillis. Last month Grow Your Own gave away a selection of four different types. It looks like three have germinated but no sign of the others. The problem is that I was short on labels and tucked the packet under the tray. Just my luck it fell out during the week so I have no idea which are which. Hopefully I will be able to tell as they get bigger.










The ducks absence from the allotment is really noticable and it is not only seeds that have been germinating. We were sitting by their pond on 53 and noticed that the surface of the water was alive. The pond is fully of tadpoles. Previous years the ducks would have eaten the spawn before the hatched but not any more. I am a bit worried as if 1% live we will still have a plague of frogs.

Hopefully they will be slug eating frogs.

No comments: